3/7/08

Simple Joys of Life



There's no time to kill between the cradle and the grave
Father Time still takes a toll on every minute that you save
Legal tender's never gonna change the number on your days
The highest cost of livin's dyin', that's one everybody pays
So have it spent before you get the bill, there's no time to kill
If we'd known ten years ago today would be ten years from now
Would we spend tomorrow's yesterdays and make it last somehow
Or lead the cheers in someone else's game and never learn to play
And see the rules of thumb are all the same that measure every day
The grass is green on both sides of the hill, there's no time to kill
No time to kill, even I've said it and probably always will
But I can look ahead and see that time ain't standin' still
No time to kill but time to change the kind of hurry I've been in
And quit this work and worry lookin' back at where I've been
If you don't look ahead nobody will, there's no time to kill
If we had an hour glass to watch each one go by
Or a bell to mark each one to pass, we'd see just how they fly
Would we escalate the value to be worth its weight in gold
Or would we never know the fortunes that we had 'til we grow old
And do we just keep killin' time until there's no time to kill
---Clint Black

I figure I'll take this post to mention some of the beautiful things in life that most people seem to miss. Every day we all go on about our lives never thinking of the wonderful things unfolding around us. We get so caught up in getting things done for tomorrow and the future, which results in death any way, that we forget about the things that surround us.

I took these pictures about two weeks ago when the dogs and I were caught out in a sudden storm. It's 4:30pm and within five minutes the clouds had rolled in to engulf the area. I couldn't help but sit and watch the storm begin it's deluge staying out well beyond the bounds of healthy dryness. Of the ten pictures those two are the only ones which turned out right.

I understand that it is hard to stop thinking about the future constantly however, which makes a better story in the end? "I was born, went to school, worked my butt off, retired and now I'm on my death bed" or "When I was born, such and such was going on. The year I become a high-school freshmen I saw this and this happen and I spent a year traveling the continent on foot before deciding on a career path". I would prefer my life story to be filled with adventures and suspense instead of being bland and uneventful.

When I take the dogs out, an hour long walk can turn into half a day of traveling because of the fact that I get caught up watching them run and play or staring at the cloud-shapes traveling along through the sky. My digi-camera is filled with pictures of cardinals, finches, rabbits and the dogs. Occasionally there is some landscapes or scenic views of the area but mostly it's some strange thing that people would never think to look at. One of my favorites is a picture of a grub the size of my big toe with a wasp climbing out of it's back. When I find it, I'll post it for all to see.

In short, it's not enough to stop and smell the roses. Since our lives are nothing but the passage of time between birth and rebirth, we need to absorb as much of the beauty and wonder as possible. There really is no way of telling when it's time to cash our chips so why spend our final moments thinking of what may have been if we'd 'only found the time'. Try waking up one morning and basking in the sunrise skyclad or attending a Beltane festival to dance the fire in nothing but skivvies and combat boots. You'll be amazed by what you learn when you make the space in your schedule for the un-ordinary.

No comments: