8/24/09

I believe my thoughts are more in order(ish)

I finally managed to get my hands on a copy of Jean Donaldson's "The Culture Clash" and I'm really impressed. Once I've gotten my notes finished I'll post some of what I got out of the book. You can find her here: http://www.jeandonaldson.com. Her site is well worth visiting and I can recommend her books as well. Most of "The Culture Clash" seems like it should be common sense but when the waters have been muddied by TV shows and yank'n'crank propaganda it can be hard to stick to your guns.

I'm consistently taking Quark out for walks, car rides and bike rides (he has to ride on my lap or in a back pack right now) to achieve proper socialization. He has gone to stores with me, hung out at parks, visited picnics and has not met a person he doesn't like yet. He's been playing with other dogs, cats and kids (supervised only) and at 10 weeks old he seems to be settling in very nicely. Hopefully we can nip any behavioral issues in the bud. We have started with Clicker Training and his speed at grasping the concepts is truly astounding.

Liwanu has been running alongside my bike for 45 minutes a day, every day for the past week. It does seem to have made quite a bit of difference in his attitude. We have also been practicing his basic obedience commands especially 'leave it' and 'sit/stay'. He has not been lunging or snapping nearly as much while we are walking and he has also been less grumpy during the day while he is crated. I'm currently re-writing his goals and our plan of 'attack' so that we can make the most of my newly gained knowledge.

I feel kind of bad about using him as a guinea pig but he seems to enjoy spending the extra time with me and since the whole 'assert dominance' phase (that was at the beginning of our trek) his behavior has not been negatively effected by my attempts at redirecting his negative behaviors.

No comments: